As part of National Dental Hygiene Month, here are a few pointers in how to keep that smile looking as beautiful and vibrant as ever.
- Use small, circular motions and short back-and-forth strokes while brushing.
- Use a soft-bristle brush and gently brush your teeth on all sides.
- Lightly brush your tongue, and take time to gently and carefully brush along the gumline.
- Floss daily, brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste.
- The Mayo Clinic suggests that flossing before brushing might allow more fluoride from your toothpaste to reach between your teeth. Just remember to be thorough!
- Drink tap water that contains fluoride rather than bottled water.
- Dental visits should include fluoride treatments. Be sure to visit your dentist twice a year to maintain good oral hygiene.
Denture care is just as important as caring for your natural teeth. Be sure to brush and rinse dentures daily. When dentures are not in use, be sure to keep them moist in water or a denture cleanser solution.
Is dry mouth an issue?
As we age, dry mouth can become more prevalent. Medications, cancer treatments can cause dry mouth. If left untreated, this can increase your risk of gum disease. Be diligent about brushing and flossing. If it’s still an issue, a dentists can prescribe mouth moisturizers and artificial saliva.
Trusted Senior Specialists carries Medicare Advantage plans, some that offer dental insurance coverage. Keep your pearly whites looking their best and call us today. Our toll-free number is 1-855-474-6234.